The beautiful and glorious holiday season is upon us. Holidays and traditional festivities go hand in hand. It is these cultural traditions that humans have which also distinguishes us from other animals; we are and have always been social beings.
Every year on the fourth Thursday of November America and Americans celebrate
Thanksgiving, which marks the harvest season. Thanksgiving comes with all sorts of beautiful traditions which are passed down generation after generation and becomes an integral part of the family and their holiday rituals.
We did a little research and talked to a few people who helped us compile this list of traditions which are absolutely charming, warm and adorable! And when we came across these happy chronicles we decided to share the list with you.
1) Family Time. Thanksgiving is a time when people travel for long distances just to spend it with their family and share a meal over the table. This year due the ongoing pandemic many of us may not be able to travel and spend the day with our families but we can always devise methods to be present! Like have a zoom game night and bond over it.
2) Build a bigger table, not a higher fence. This year is exceptional. The spirit of
thanksgiving has to be found and shared among those who weren’t so fortunate. COVID-19 has cost people lives, jobs and mental peace. It is important to invite those who are not able to share this day with their loved ones, if you can’t invite them over drop by food in good spirits and share your meal!
3) Personalize the decorations! Decorations are an important aspect of Thanksgiving. Customize the table decoration and bring out pieces that tell a story. Story like who gave you a particular piece of crockery and share a story about them and be thankful for having people who care, in your life. Using homemade place cards can be super fun and traditional. You can give the kids this task and keep them happy, busy and feel important and involved.
4) Have a round of gratitude. Thanksgiving is a time when everyone thinks of and recalls things that they are thankful for. Once everyone is seated on the table, ask them to raise a toast and go one after another, recalling things and people they are grateful for and why. This is one of the best traditions of Thanksgiving!
5) The wishbone. This is such a fun part. Once the meat is off the wishbone and it becomes a little brittle, two people get a hold of it from either end and then pull while making a wish. The person who ends up with the bigger part of the bone, his wish gets granted!
6) The Feast. Traditional foods are an integral part of Thanksgiving celebrations.
Traditional foods include turkey, stuffing, gravy, sweet potatoes, cornbread, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce. Many people serve pie for dessert at the end of the meal. Popular pie flavors are pumpkin, pecan, sweet potato, and apple.